Wednesday 21 August 2013

Movies That Pull Me In



What makes a movie? Is it the cast, the script or the set? What makes an eager movie goer decide that THAT film is the best movie they have ever seen? For most people a movie is just a movie, a bunch of video and sound recordings laced together to depict a clever story someone dreamt up. For some though, a really good film can pull you into a world you never thought possible.
For me, what makes a movie is very long list of credentials, a believable storyline, a witty script, the perfect cast but more importantly they make me feel… [Fill in the blank]. They can make me cry with them, laugh at them or just make me want to be a part of the action! My top five movies don’t really have a common theme, the only thing they share is the fact that depending on the mood I am in, these five movies can change my day!

Five… “I wrote you 365 letters. I wrote you every day for a year.”

The Notebook

Who can resist a boy likes girl, girls parents rip them apart story where love conquers all? I can’t. I am a sucker for Noah and Allie’s love story. From the opening scenes until the credits start rolling, I can watch this movie over and over again, never getting sick of the forever love it makes every girl wish they had!

Photo Courtesy of CelebQuote

FourSincerely yours, the Breakfast Club”

The Breakfast Club

Filmed way before my time with actors old enough to be my parents, I can’t help but love this dysfunctional bunch! The Breakfast Club is the perfect high-school stereotype movie to get your heart warmed, if you don’t mind the drugs, bullying and references to nymphomania. The Brain, the Athlete, the Basket Case, the Princess, and the Criminal – These characters made me look at high school in a whole different way, even if my high school experience was 17 years after this movie was released.
Photo Courtesy of The Breakfast Club Wiki

Three… “But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.”

10 Things I Hate About You

Let me count the ways! 1. Heath Ledger 2. Heath Ledgers smile 3. Heath Ledger singing… I think you get the point! In all seriousness though I don’t just love the movie because of Heath Ledger, though you need to give me a break here, I was only 11 or 12 when I first saw this movie. A school girl crush was bound to be formed! Even though this is a typical high-school movie based around sex, underage drinking, parental relationships and prom, I still consider it an all-time favourite. 
Photo Courtesy of ReadExpress

Two… “I owe you a ten second car”

The Fast and the Furious

Cute boys and fast cars, need I say more. Coming from a family with a car fanatic father it was inevitable that I was going to be invested in this franchise.  We’ve always had a love hate relationship- loved some, hated others- but in the end I’m the first one lining up at the cinemas on the release day! These movies somehow have me rooting for the guys on the other side of the wanted poster, the cop turned criminal and the anti-hero that made us love his ride or die attitude.
Photo Courtesy of FanPop

One… “Nobody puts baby in the corner”

Dirty Dancing

Two words, Johnny Castle. I hadn’t even been born when Dirty Dancing was released in 1987, but that didn’t stop me from watching this movie enough times to have memorised the dialogue. When I was twelve and my parents took our family to a holiday resort I was bitterly disappointed to find out that these kinds of romances only happen in the movies! The closest I got to Johnny, was a pool boy who would dance to his Walkman while cleaning the pool… I did NOT have the time of my life.
Photo Courtesy of WeHeartIt

So there you have it, the top five movies that pull me in! Have a look and see how my top five rate against the American Film Institute’s 100 Years 100 Movies. 
What movies would make your top five?

3 comments:

  1. Love the way you list your choices in reverse order - I just HAD to keep scrolling down to see what would be number one...
    The Shawshank Redemption is a big fave of mine.
    I hate horror movies but a well done thriller is another matter. The most memorable thriller I watched was a Dutch production "The Vanishing" 1988.
    If I'm searching for a video, I'll always look for nonAmerican - too much Hollywood on the free screen already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I would have to say I agree with your stance on horror movies. I usually get tricked into seeing them by my family and friends, and then spend the entire time watching through a pillow or blanket.
      My favourite scary movie is the parody kind!

      Delete
  2. sweet blog, should check out the movies that i have posted on my blog
    pretty insane stuff haha

    ReplyDelete